Sunday, January 13, 2008

Race Day


We came. we ran ( some of us walked) and we got our medals. It was one of my best experiences and to do it with my four daughters made it even more special. Something I will remember for ever (unless I get Alzheimers). We were up before dawn and leaving our rooms to get the bus at 3:30 am. I didn't feel nervous, It was still hard to believe that I was really doing this. We got to Epcot and had to wait in a holding area and then later move to the corrals and wait some more. I was feeling a bit hungry at this time and had a bite of my Balance bar ( should have eaten the whole thing). Finally the fireworks started and the race began. We wished everyone luck and said we'd meet at the finish line. I t was a slow start we had to walk a bit to get away from the crowds and get some room Katy, Christy and I were staying together. I was doing great until mile six and then I lost all energy and felt sick. I was thinking about dropping out but Katy and Christy kept me going. We stopped at a Medic tent and I got some Tylenol and water and rested for a few minutes. They took my race number at the tent and I was on my way again. I was taking water at every stop and trying to stay hydrated. I felt bad that I was keeping Christy and Katy from running and having a good time, what troupers they were to stick with me and help me finish. Even as we walked we were still passing other people. It was encouraging to hear people yelling your name and cheering you on, I must have looked pretty bad because mine was being called quite a bit. Finally the overpass was in view and I knew we didn't have far to go. Katy and Christy were right in front of me , pump those arms the would say. Into Epcot , not far to go. I started to tear up happy that we finally made it. We stopped right before the finish line so Katy could have her picture with Pluto and also with Chip and Dale. We crossed the line at 3:27! as soon as we crossed there stood a man with a wheelchair headed straight for me. What we said. I told him I didn't need to go to the medic tent so he let us go on after promising to get me food. The big moment came they hung the medal around my neck and I felt so proud and had so much love for my daughters that we were able to do this and live this dream. We found Amy and Jenny and got on the bus and headed back to the hotel for some rest and food and to get out of our yucky clothes. Later that evening we went to dinner at the top of the Contemporary Hotel wearing our medals. And finally we got to go to bed and didn't have to set the alarm for 3 am.

5 comments:

KatyShops said...

I'm so proud of you!! You really showed determination. Great Job.

Katy

Nancy said...

I've been crying reading all their blogs. What amazing girls you have and one amazing mom you must be. I'm so happy that the 5 of you got to have this experience together.

I loved your comment about Alzheimer's. I think you're probably in the clear. If not, think how cool it will be to have them tell you the story over and over again about how awesome you were to run a half marathon with them!! :D

Nancy said...

I've been crying reading all their blogs. What amazing girls you have and one amazing mom you must be. I'm so happy that the 5 of you got to have this experience together.

I loved your comment about Alzheimer's. I think you're probably in the clear. If not, think how cool it will be to have them tell you the story over and over again about how awesome you were to run a half marathon with them!! :D

Nancy said...

oops, sorry, there must be an echo in here.

Sarah Kathryn said...

WOW - you are AMAZING!!! It's one thing to run one of these things feeling good, quite another to continue when you felt horrible!!! What an accomplishment and what a bonding experience for all of you to push through this together and make it!

Congratulations a millions times over and HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Now I know where those daughters of yours get their tenacity!