Friday, April 25, 2008

Cross Training


Where do I begin. Last night was really great. In spite of dark clouds looming overhead I went to running class. We had to be there early to run because of the Cooper Clinic lecture. I'm telling you I don't like this heat and I wasn't the only one complaining. Maggie get asking " what do we do in the summer?" We did manage a run, Maggie was faster but Danae and I did 2 miles.


Back at the store we all met Diane from the clinic who is a triathlete and trainer. Tonight she was speaking about cross training and how important it is. She told us how it helps train other muscles that are helpful for running and gives your running muscles a rest.

Water Running is her favorite cross train exercise. She says it works the muscles harder in less time. You should not be touching the pool bottom to get the best results. She even offered to teach a one time only class if enough people were interested.

Biking was second choice. You need to keep the foot flat and not point the toe as you pedal. When your foot is on the down pedal you want to pull it back "like you are wiping dog poop from your shoe" this uses the hamstrings. I am definitely going to try this at the gym in hopes that it will strengthen my ham.

Elliptical came in third. When you do this she says "do not hold on, have your feet flat and arms bent 90 degrees and moving froward and back but don't cross in front of your body.

Walking was also talked about and she had us go outside to learn the proper technique. You want to stand tall. hold your stomach muscles in( like you are laying on the bed pulling up the zipper on a tight pair of jeans) bend your arms at the elbows and pretend you are holding ski poles and the last was " pretend you have a $100 bill in your butt and you need to squeeze so you don't loose it" We all had to walk around the building doing this and I didn't loose my money.

I guess I have lots of new things to try out. Will let you know how I do.

3 comments:

J said...

Ha! I am glad you didn't lose your money!

Sounds like you learned some good tips. The water running sounds pretty hard...

Amy said...

Ha Ha! At pilates we have to imagine we have a 5O euro bill between our thighs and don't want to drop it!

I am going to try the dog poo thing next time I bike...

What wonderful visuals for working out!

KatyShops said...

Okay...I followed your advice and stuck some money in my butt before my run today...it was really handy for my stop at publix. Should I be putting my purchases in my butt too?